Sunday, December 4, 2011

me encanta español

Tomorrow is the final for my Spanish course and I am clearly blogging
instead of reviewing indirect object pronouns - last post, I swear

Most of the students in my class are taking Intensive Spanish for
a credit requirement or for an exchange to a spanish-speaking country.

I decided to take on a minor in Spanish because...

Manu Chao: My oh-so-european-and-knowledgeable-in-all-cool-music 
high school boyfriend introduced me to this reggae superstar.  
I needed to understand his clandestine lyrics. 
[Just about the one good thing that came out of that relationship, hehe]

Pedro Almodóvar: I studied this filmmaker and completely fell in love
with all things Pedro! I couldn't help but become infatuated with each of his films and all of his
wildly inappropriate characters.  
It's as if he's throwing all of our embedded conservative views
  back in our faces, I love it!

Pablo Neruda: I came across this particular anthology of Neruda's work 
when I was killing time before my shift at a restaurant.  The introduction on the first
page said something about how it was impossible to do Neruda justice in translating
his work, but this was the absolute best they could offer, without dishonoring Neruda's poetry. 
I loved the editor's honesty.
I have spent many sleepless nights with Viente Poemas de Amor 


I understand I'm grazing the bare minimum of what the Spanish language and
culture has to offer, but I am absolutely mesmerized!