Wednesday, December 22, 2010

personals >m4w

It’s incredible how things happen. One day I’m conversing solely with Nabokov, the next I’m Penny Lane and backstage smoking a joint with Seu Jorge [this story is for another day].  Whether or not I choose to believe it, lately, things have been happening for a reason.  

Some of you might have heard about my heart-stopping encounter in Montreal a few months ago.  I met someone I was immediately smitten with and at the risk of sounding like a desperate WASP from the Bachelor; we had an ‘unmistakable connection’. Ick, I already regret typing that.  Why was I so drawn to this person whose name I didn’t even know?  Was it the mix of adrenaline and three too many gin and tonics? Was it working in my blood?  Call it butterflies or ‘zsa-zsa-zsu’, regardless, I was hooked.  
We danced, we kissed, we talked and we kissed some more.  What’s strange is that our paths have crossed before.  Mystery Man from New York, had gone to a few music festivals I had been to in the past.  I wanted to know more.  I mean, how many sexy, smart, traveled, electro-loving, music fest-going guys are there in the world? Okay, probably a lot.  But, what are the chances of me meeting one on my much-needed escape from Ottawa?
If I were wearing x-ray goggles, I swear I could have seen the sparks flying off our bodies.  Every tingle, touch was anticipation.  The concert was drawing to an end and I figured we would continue our evening at an after-hours or whatnot.  The venue began clearing out and in what has come to be one of the saddest events thus far; we lost each other in the crowd.  Damn it. 
I returned to reality, sore from dancing, but with stars still in my eyes.  I couldn’t stop thinking about this encounter I had.  I mean, I’ve met interesting characters, that I truly was interested in before, but I usually choose to scoot off with my girlfriends, rather than exchange digits with them. Why was this guy setting up camp in my head? Around mid-terms too.. bastard.  
I reassured all this doubt and regret with the notion that because our paths have crossed before, if it was ‘meant to be’, we would see each other again.

-two weeks later-


Eavesdropping in class: “Yeah, she totally found this creep on Craigslist’s”
My sister: “People post Missed Connections for people on campus!”
Saturday Night Live: “Pedophile’s Network; Missed Connections”
Me: “What the hell are Missed Connections!?”
One fateful morning: I was on my last lazy excuse why I shouldn’t get out of my nest of duvets and decided to check out Missed Connections. As I looked into Montreal’s network of missed connections, I turned bright red with embarrassment.  Did I actually think there would be something on there, for me
My heart stopped.  There between a missed connection with a transexual and a ‘hot as fuck girl with tinkerbell tattoo’ was a posting for me. 
 It’s very, The Shop Around the Corner meets In Search of a Midnight Kiss. I can’t deny the serendipity of it all.  It’s 21st Century romance, and I am into it. 




This connection isn't missed and is still in motion today.